- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar (or less)
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups All-Bran cereal
- 1 1/4 cups skim milk or milk of choice
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cereal and milk. Let stand 2 minutes or until cereal softens.
- Add egg and oil. Beat well.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Stir just until combined.
- Portion evenly into twelve muffin-pan cups coated with cooking spray or a muffin liner.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
So I took the bran muffin, which my entire family loves (kid and farmer-approved), and made a couple of simple tweaks to make them healthier. If you read my blog, it’s pretty common knowledge to you now that you can take about any recipe and halve the amount of sugar it calls for and it will still turn out great!
You also can replace the oil it calls for with an equal amount of unsweetened applesauce, but keep in mind it may slightly change the texture (a non-issue if you ask me). I chose to just use the oil today because for one, I am out of applesauce and two, 1/4 cup of oil divided between 12 muffins is……..not much oil per muffin! Haha!
As a bonus, the wheat bran in these muffins provides ample fiber, which helps fill you up and your body digests it slowly, to help keep you full for longer.
For easy breakfasts this week I am pairing them with the hard-boiled eggs that I also prepared today. With two kids under the age of five, and at six months pregnant, I am ALL about making our mornings easier these days!