Since we’re friends, you probably know by now that May is Beef Month. But thanks to Kita, the mastermind behind the amazing Girl Carnivore blog (seriously, if you’re looking for recipes, beautiful food photography, and a girl whose sweet personality matches her spicy sense of humor, go check it out NOW!), it’s also #burgermonth.
This is an annual event dedicated to creating the most epic burgers around!! I am honored to be part of the group of over 100 participants this year!! It consists of bloggers, butchers, influencers, and chefs – all creating and sharing recipes for unique burgers EVERY day in May!!
My Burger–Spicy Jalapeno Bacon Burger with Red-Ass Rhubarb Sauce
This epic burger creation was born from equal parts of my love of bacon AND my pregnancy craving for something sweet. Enter–Red-Ass Rhubarb Jam from Prairie Berry Winery. The winery did not sponsor the making of this burger, but I will tell you they have amazing wine along with their jams and jelly!
Back to the burger–we started by adding diced jarred jalapenos to the ground beef–along with just a dash of garlic powder. We topped the grilled burger with a couple of slices of thick-cut peppered bacon, a generous slice off a block of cream cheese, and the rhubarb jam. For the bun, choose a thick hamburger bun that will stand up to grilling–because ours gets brushed with oil and smoked paprika before it goes on the grill. This adds a perfect smokiness and slight crunch to sandwich in all the goodness of the burger. Because let’s face it–no one likes soggy buns!
- 1.5 lb package ground beef (I prefer a lean-to-fat ratio of 80/20 for burgers)
- 1/2-3/4 cup jarred sliced jalapenos, chopped into a fine dice
- A few dashes of garlic powder, optional or to taste
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 8 Tablespoons Red-Ass Rhubarb Jam
- 8 slices thick-cut peppered bacon
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Smoked Paprika
- 4 thick, hearty hamburger buns
- Get your bacon into the oven to cook--I prefer the method of cooking on a baking sheet with parchment paper in the oven at 400 degrees until crispy. Make your bacon the way you like it!
- Mix the jalapenos and garlic powder into the raw hamburger.
- Form into 4 large patties.
- Grill until the internal temp reaches 160 degrees. We always prefer a charcoal grill for burgers but use what you have!
- In the meantime, mix up your olive oil and smoked paprika. Brush the insides of both the top and bottoms of your four hamburger buns.
- Place oiled-side down on the grill JUST until toasted.
- When burgers are perfectly cooked, place one on each bun, followed by two slices of bacon, about an ounce of cream cheese, a couple of tablespoons of the jam, and top with the bun.
While this burger creation is entirely my own (with some help from my grill-master husband of course!), I want to thank the generous sponsors too! Not going to lie–I want to win ALL the prizes from Burger Month!
American Lamb Board – (ALB prize boxes 5 lbs of ground lamb, an apron, and a meat thermometer
- Anolon – 10″x 18″ Double Burner Griddle and Grill Pan
- Beef, It’s What’s For Dinner – prize packs of beefy grilling-themed goodies
- Char-Broil – Char-Broil Kettleman Grill
- Curly’s BBQ – Curly’s BBQ Pork Pack
- Cuttingboard.com – Olive Wood Carver Bo
- Melissa’s Produce – Baby vegetable box
- Primal Stone – XL Primal Stone
- Spiceologist – 4 Rub Grilling Spice Set
- Thermoworks – Thermapen Mk4
- Veal Made Easy – 5 lbs Veal and grilling gear
May is only a little over half-way over, so there are still MANY more recipes to come, but here are a couple of examples of new burger recipes that have caught MY attention so far: a Jamaican Burger with Spicy Pineapple Sauce and a Steakhouse Burger that this pregnant girl is BEGGING my husband to make ASAP!
Search #girlcarnivore and #burgermonth on social media to find the rest of the recipes that you don’t want to miss!